HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM
(Formerly Section 8)
To assist families in seeking and obtaining affordable, decent, safe and sanitary housing.
What is it?
- The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally funded rent subsidy program designed to supplement the rent payments of low and moderate income families. It enables a family to select housing in which the wish to live in the Henry and Stark county areas.
- This program allows families to pay up to 40% of their monthly income in rent.
- The voucher specifies the applicable fair market rent for the unit size appropriate for the family.
Who is eligible?
Elderly, disabled, families or singles adults over the age of 18 residing in Henry and Stark counties who fall in the low or very low-income category. Income limits may change from year to year.
- The Housing Authority of Henry County will conduct a “Family Briefing” which covers housing standards, how to find affordable housing, compliance with HUD guidelines governing the program, and policies and procedures to follow when participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- The Housing Authority of Henry County will provide the landlord with monthly housing assistance payments for your unit.
- The Housing Authority will inspect your unit at least annually to assure that it is in decent, safe, and sanitary condition.
- The Housing Choice Voucher Coordinator will re-examine family income, composition and the extent of deductible expenses, at least annually, to determine any adjustments in rent payments.
Housing Choice Voucher Participant Responsibilities:
- Payment of the family portion of total rent.
- Report all changes in family income and household composition as changes occur.
- Ensure that the unit is clean and sanitary.
- When moving to a new unit, provide the Housing Authority and landlord with a 30 day notice to vacate.
- Comply with all approved terms of the lease.
- VOUCHER HOLDER WILL BE REQUIRED TO OCCUPY UNIT IN HENRY OR STARK COUNTY FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR.
- Proper management of the unit, including performance of all ordinary and extraordinary maintenance and payment of utilities (unless paid by the family).
- Collection of family rent.
- Compliance with equal opportunity requirements.
For more information, contact the Housing Choice Voucher office at 309-852-2801, or by email.
Housing Choice Voucher Coordinator:
Housing Authority of Henry County
125 North Chestnut Street
Kewanee, IL 61443